Friday, October 5, 2018

Omaha Marathon 2018



Let's just start this race report off with the fact that I was feeling not in shape due to a niggling knee and about a month ago annoying pain in my right foot.  Oh... then we will move to the fact that I was pacing the 3:55 Marathon group (first time pacing a Marathon).  Yes this very different than pacing someone in an ultra.

Ok.. now that my excuses are out of the way I can start.  So Saturday I travel up to Omaha two hours for packet pickup and then to meet my nephew who lives in Omaha.  It was great to hang out with Ethan for the evening.  We had a great time visiting in the Historic Old Market in Omaha for a meal and brew at Upstream Brewing Company.

After a couple hours it was time to head to their apartment and call it an early evening.   Ring ring alarm goes off at 4:45.  I roll out of bed and get myself ready using my Favorite and most reliable gear

  • SNB - One done on the "critical parts" and their Born to Rub on my left knee, right foot, and neck.
  • UltrAspire - UA run hat and my trusty 550 Handheld water bottle
  • Altra Shoes - For the marathon I used my new Paradigm 4.0 (love the new design and feel)
  • Injinji - I don't wear any other socks for running
  • North Face Shorts - Again I don't wear any other brand for my running shorts.
BUT A SPECIAL shoutout to my awesome sponsors https://ultraspire.com/ and https://squirrelsnutbutter.com/  


Alright quick 10 minute ride to the Ameritrade Park (where the college world series is played each year) for my Pacer meeting at 6:00.   We meet and handout pacing signs, and now the waiting game until 7:00.   You knew temps were going to be a factor today,when it was 68 degrees at start time with temps reaching 90 degrees.   Normal temps for Sept 16 are 78 high 54 low.  

The national anthem plays, the horn goes off and away we go.  I only had a couple people running with me for the 3:55 time because they wanted to break 4:00 hours today.   The first five miles went great chatting and meeting my group.   Runners from Colorado, Las Vegas, California, Omaha, and Minneapolis.  After mile 5, some went on faster and a couple dropped off and I found myself alone for a good portion of the rest of the race, bunny hopping a couple people and encouraging them along the way.

The first 7-8 miles were through neighborhoods and nice shade.  Once we turned to the trails by the Missouri River we would be totally exposed to the sun until mile 18-19.   My pacing went great for the first 13 miles I was 1 minute under my 3:55 pace, but I knew when I hit the turn around it was not going to end well (well at least not at 3:55).  As you can see by the Strava data, my suspicions were accurate, each mile after 13 was slower and slower. 

I was glad to dump my pacing sign at mile 18 to one of the course cylists marshalls, so no one would be relying on me to keep pace.  After that my stress level lowered and I enjoyed the last 8 miles albeit slower, encouraging many runners along the way, who were really struggling with the heat.  Physically and mentally I felt very strong.  I stopped to walk a bit to encourage a runner with a goal of 3:05 (one example of people dropping like flies, he was walking and cramping since mile 9, one hour off his pace). 

Image result for ameritrade park marathonAnother woman who was running well but getting beat down by the sun was ready to sit.  I talked her out of it, and ecnouraged her to put one foot in front of the other and then ran with her for 1/2 mile until she got her spirits up again near mile 25.  She knew then she could walk it in if she had to.  She thanked me and away I went, temps were now pushing 85.  I hit the last mile, turned the final corner and entered ameritrade ball park to run around the outfield.  It was a cool finish! (well figuratively)

All in all this was a win win win for me.  My knee felt great, my right foot had no pain, and I ended up being able to encourage and help some struggling runners meet the finish line.

This is why I run, for something bigger than myself!  Sure I have pr's and goals, who doesn't, but seeing others accomplish things in races they never thought possible is incredible!

Pacing is NOT for me, but hey I figured that out today as well!

Next up October 13 Plow the Prairie 10k, and October 20, Oregon Trail Marathon.  I'm sooo.. ready to get back to the trails.  Happy Trails to you, cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment